ING Banner
Home > Astronomy > William Herschel Telescope
Text: Normal textBigger tyextBold text


Technical information




Other information

Chris Benn
WHT manager

William Herschel Telescope


After the commissioning of WEAVE, 70% of the time on the telescope will be used to carry out dedicated surveys with the new instrument. The remaining 30% of the time is open time, available to the community. During 2023 and 2024, open-time observations will be carried out with WEAVE only. Thereafter, there is a possibility that WEAVE will be removed at intervals to allow open-time observations with non-WEAVE instruments (e.g. ISIS, ACAM and visiting instruments) but this depends on a number of factors, including the overheads (in lost observing time) associated with unmounting and re-mounting WEAVE.

Visiting instruments have in the past been mounted at the Cassegrain or Nasmyth (GRACE) f/11 foci or at the f/3 prime focus. The enclosure at the Nasmyth focus includes an optical bench. Visiting instruments have included AOLI, CANARY, EXPO, FASTCAM, GHaFaS, HiPERCAM, PAUCam, PNS, SAURON and ULTRACAM.

The time-application procedure is documented here.

Targets with significant proper motion (e.g. comets) can be observed with differential tracking.

The median seeing at the WHT is 0.8 arcsec during April - November. The dark-of-moon sky brightness at high ecliptic latitude is similar to that at other good dark sites, V ~ 21.9 mag arcsec2.


2023 August: Commissioning of the LIFU (large integral-field unit) mode of WEAVE was completed early in 2023. WEAVE/LIFU is offered in open time in 2023B and 2024A. Commissioning of the MOS and mIFU modes of WEAVE is in-hand.

2022 September 29: On-sky commissioning of the LIFU mode of WEAVE begins, in parallel with pre-commissioning tests of the fibre-positioning system (for the MOS and mIFU modes).

2022 summer: WEAVE sub-systems assembled on the WHT, pre-commissioning tests begin.

2020 February 17: Start of pre-WEAVE standdown for preparation of telescope, and integration and testing of WEAVE components. This will be followed by on-sky commissioning and science verification. On current plans, the standdown, commissioning and science verification will require most of 2021 and 2022. The WEAVE science surveys should begin after that. (Updated September 2022.)

2019 November 4: Update on the items below: due to a delay in delivery of part of WEAVE, part of 2020A has been returned to science.

2019 May 28: Update on the item below: due to a delay in delivery of part of WEAVE, ~ 3 months of 2019B has been returned to science.

2019 February: In 2019B, the amount of time available for observing with the WHT will be very restricted, due to the upcoming assembly, integration and on-sky commissioning of the new MOS fibre spectrograph WEAVE from 2 September 2019 until spring 2020. The remaining 2019B nights, August 1 - September 1, will be used to finish off existing high-priority science programmes requiring the current instrumentation. Recent information about the timescale of the developments under way at the WHT (and INT) can be found on the ING instrumentation-update pages.

2017 March: The lower dome shutter has been repaired. Observations at elevation < 25 deg will no longer be vignetted by the dome (plot).

2017 February: AF2 and the prime-focus imager (16-arcmin field) will not be available in 2017B.

2017 January: Vignetting at low elevation: the WHT lower dome shutter is currently stuck in a raised position, and observations at elevation < 25 deg will be vignetted (plot).

2014 August: As a result of the ongoing rationalisation of instrumentation at the WHT, the adaptive-optics suite (NAOMI/INGRID, NAOMI/OASIS) will not be offered after 31 January 2015, i.e. from 2015A onwards.

2013 February: Differential tracking with autoguiding is now available, but is not compatible with some dither/nodding scripts (as often used with e.g. LIRIS). Observers interested in dithered, autoguided, observations of a moving target should contact ING.

For older/retired news items, click here.

Top | Back

Contact:  (WHT Manager)
Last modified: 14 August 2023