THE ING NEWSLETTER No. 4, March 2001
GENERAL THE ING WIDE FIELD IMAGING SURVEY SCIENCE TELESCOPES AND INSTRUMENTATION OTHER NEWS FROM ING TELESCOPE TIME
Previous: Important Dates Up: Table of Contents
Telescope Time Awards Semester 2001A
For observing schedules please visit this web page: http://lpss33.ing.iac.es:8080/cgi-bin/schedules.pl.
ITP Programmes on the ING Telescopes
- Barcons (IFCA), An XMM-Newton international survey (AXIS-II): unveiling the hard X-ray source populations. ITP/2001/2
- Doressoundiram (OP), Multi-color taxonomy of trans-Neptunian objects. ITP/2001/1
- Molés (CSIC), A photometric wide-field survey of low-z clusters. ITP/2001/3
William Herschel Telescope
- Balogh (Durham), K-Band Luminosities of CNOC2 Group Galaxies. W/2001A/22
- Benn (ING), Dust-free star-formation rate at z<0.5 from sub-mJy radio sources. W/2001A/31
- Charles (Southampton), An Optical/UV/X-ray Study of a Luminous LMXB in a Globular Cluster. W/2001A/33
- Davies (Durham), Galaxy Evolution in Rich Clusters: Preparing for GMOS. W/2001A/45
- Davies (Durham), Mapping Early Type Galaxies along the Hubble Sequence. W/2001A/59
- Ferguson (IoA), A Search for Recent Massive Star Formation in Gas-Rich Ellipticals/SOs. W/2001A/63
- Hynes (Southampton), Weighing the Black Hole in XTE J1118+480. W/2001A/48
- Ivison (UCL), Star-Forming Galaxies in High Density Environments in the Early Universe. W/2000B/37. Long-term.
- Ivison (UCL), A Multi-colour Search for Galaxies in High Density Environments in the Early Universe. W/2000B/45. Long-term.
- James (LJMU), Extinction corrections for an H galaxy survey using the Br line. W/2001A/11
- Keenan (QUB), Early type stars in the Galactic halo from the Palomar-Green Survey. W/2001A/14
- Knapen (Herts), Studying Star Formation Triggering via Age-Dating of Circumnuclear Hotspots. W/2001A/19
- Kodama (Durham), The K-band Luminosity Function of the Highest Redshift Clusters. W/2001A/34
- Kuntschner (Durham), An INGRID/HST Study of Early-type Galaxies in the Outskirts of Distant Clusters. W/2001A/9
- Marsh (Southampton), Cataclysmic Variable Stars from the 2dF QSO Survey. W/2001A/35
- Merrifield (Nottingham), Planetary nebula kinematics of round elliptical galaxies. W/2001A/51
- McMahon (IoA), The contribution to the metagalactic ionising UV background from z=3 and z=5 quasars. W/2001A/76
- Outram (Durham), Do QSOs trace the same structures as their absorption systems? W/2001A/69
- Pettini (IoA), Star-forming Galaxies and Ly forest at 1.5 < z < 2.5 : the Galaxy-IGM Connection. W/2001A/15
- Pollacco (QUB), Restarting the fast wind in the Sakurai Object (V4334 Sagittarii). W/2001A/12
- Rawlings (Oxford), The cosmic evolution of radio sources using the TEXOX 1000-source redshift survey. W/2001A/80
- Refregier (IoA), Measuring Cosmological Parameters with Weak Gravitational Lensing. W/2001A/62. Long-term.
- Ryan (OU), Angular momentum transfer in ultra-Li-depleted halo dwarf stars and blue stragglers. W/2001A/1
- Smail (Durham), Disentangling the ERO Population: A Survey with INGRID of Archival WFPC2 Fields. W/2001A/6
- Steeghs (Southampton), The structure of AM CVn binaries and their discs. W/2001A/46
- Tadhunter (Sheffield), The early evolution of powerful radio sources. W/2001A/53
- Tanvir (Herts), Rapid imaging of GRB error boxes and spectroscopy of GRB-related optical/IR transits. W/2001A/67. Override.
- Ward (Leicester), The Nature and Environment of Galactic Super Eddington Sources. W/2001A/49
- Warren (ICST), Remote halo blue horizontal branch stars and the mass of Milky Way. W/2000B/36. Long-term.
NL NFRA PC
- Higdon (Kapteyn), Tidal dwarf galaxies in Arp 143's Plume. w01an010
- Kuijken (Kapteyn), Planetary nebula kinematics of round elliptical galaxies. w01an011
- Lacerda (Leiden), Rotational Properties of (smaller) Kuiper Belt Objects. w01an001
- Orosz (Utrecht), The mass of the black hole in the X-ray nova XTE J1118+480. w01an004
- Spruit (Amsterdam), Circumbinary material in Cataclysmic Variables. w01an005
- Vreeswijk (Amsterdam), Rapid imaging of GRB error boxes and spectroscopy of GRB-related optical transients. w01an008. Override.
- de Zeeuw (Leiden), Mapping Early-Type Galaxies along the Hubble Sequence. w01an002
- Arribas (STScI), 2D spectroscopy of the inner regions of AGNs and QSOs. W15/2001A
- Balcells (IAC), Study of galaxies under extreme star formation at high redshifts. W14/2001A
- Battaner (Granada), Stellar system rotation in the peripheries of spiral galaxies. W5/2001A
- Castro-Tirado (IAA/LAEFF), Rapid detection of the optical counterparts of GRBs. W28/2001A. Override.
- Colina (IFCA), Integral field spectroscopy of ultraluminous galaxies. W4/2001A
- Erwin (IAC), Inner Bars, Disks, and Nuclear Rings Along the Hubble Sequence. W29/2001A
- García-Lario (ESA), High resolution spectroscopy of peculiar cool stars of young planetary and proto-planetary nebulae. W11/2001A
- Gorgas (UCM), The initial mass function of stellar formation in elliptical galaxies and bright spheriodals. W10/2001A
- Israelian (IAC), Have the extra-solar parent stars engulfed planets? W17/2001A
- Lipari (OAC), 2D spectroscopy of a sequence of IR mergers. W6/2001A
- Martínez-Delgado (IAC), Destruction of dwarf galaxies in the galactic halo: Sagitario North current kinematics. W13/2001A
- Mora (UAM), Characterization of protoplanetary disks. W16/2001A
- Muñoz (IAC), Limits on the cosmological parameters (0, 0) from statistics of gravitational lenses. W21/2001A
- Ruiz-Lapuente (Barcelona), Stellar companions of supernovae. W25/2001A
- Ruiz-Lapuente (Barcelona), Supernovae at z=0.36–0.65: a study of the nature of dark energy. W26/2001A
INSTRUMENT BUILDERS' GUARANTEED TIME
- Packham (Florida), The initial conditions to star formation. GT/2001A/1
Isaac Newton Telescope
- Benn (ING), Search for z~4 radio QSOs. I/2001A/5
- Benn (ING), Extinction of background radio galaxies by foreground spirals. I/2001A/15
- Feltzing (Lund), Metallicity distribution functions in Local Group dwarf spheroidal galaxies. I/2001A/13
- Maxted (Southampton), Subdwarf-B stars are the result of common-envelope evolution. I/2001A/3
- McHardy (Southampton), Deep U,B,I-band Imaging of a Very Deep XMM/Chandra Survey Field. I/2001A/2
- McMahon (IoA), A Public Near IR imaging survey on the INT. I/2001A/23
- Morales-Rueda (Southampton), Spectroscopy of dwarf novae in outburst. I/2000B/5. Long-term.
- Rawlings (Helsinki), Diffuse Interstellar Bands toward the early-type Stephenson stars. I/2001A/4
- Ray (DIAS), The Dynamics of Large Scale Outflows from Young Stars. I/2001A/9
- Steeghs (Southampton), A search for AM CVn binaries among DB white dwarfs. I/2001A/16
- Tanvir (Herts), Rapid imaging of GRB error boxes and spectroscopy of GRB-related optical/IR transients. I/2001A/18. Override.
- Warren (ICST), Accurate measurement of the mass of the Milky Way dark halo. I/2001A/20
NL NFRA PC
- Jimenez (Kapteyn), A much-improved stellar library for stellar population synthesis. i01an002
- Lacerda (Leiden), Rotational Properties of (larger) Kuiper Belt objects. i01an001
- Noordermeer (Kapteyn), Optical spectroscopy of galaxies in the WHISP sample. i01an003
- Vreeswijk (Amsterdam), Rapid imaging of GRB error boxes and spectroscopy of GRB-related optical/IR transients. w01an008. Override.
UK/NL WFS Programmes
- Dalton (Oxford), The Oxford Deep WFC Survey. WFS/2001A/6
- Davies (Cardiff), Multi-Coloured Large Area Survey of the Virgo Cluster. WFS/2001A/2
- van den Heuvel (Amsterdam), The Faint Sky Variability Survey II. WFS/2001A/1
- McMahon (IoA), The INT Wide Angle Survey. WFS/2001A/8
- Walton (ING), The Local Group Census. WFS/2001A/4
- Watson (Leicester), An Imaging Programme for the XMM-Newton Serendipitous X-ray Sky Survey. WFS/2001A/3
- Aparicio (IAC), The Sagitario dwarf galaxy destruction. I10/2001A
- Caon (IAC), Exploring the links between ionized gas and peculiar stellar kinematics in early-type galaxies. I16/2001A
- González (IAC), Photometric redshift and star formation history on the ELAIS deep fields. I26/2001A
- Gorgas (UCM), A much-improved stellar library for stellar population synthesis. I7/2001A
- Kidger (IAC), A Test of a New Method for separating K giant and dwarfs. I20/2001A
- López (IAC), Planetary nebulae in the Virgo intracluster medium. I3/2001A
- Martínez-Delgado (IAC), The building-blocks of the Milky Way: Searching for dwarf galaxy remnants around globular clusters. I9/2001A
- Montes (UCM), Multi size continuous spectroscopy (MUSICOS) of flare stars. I8/2001A
- Negueruela (Strasbourg), The pre-main sequence population in the open globular cluster NGC 1893. I17/2001A
- Sánchez (ING), Search for the 2175Å dust-absorption feature in red QSOs. I1/2001A
Jacobus Kapteyn Telescope
- Davies (Cardiff), Limits on the stellar content of Compact High Velocity Clouds (CHVCs). J/2001A/2
- Davies (UKIRT), Lightcurves of Near Earth Objects. J/2001A/9
- Disney (Cardiff), CCD Imaging of Gas Rich Low Surface Brightness galaxies found at 21 cm. J/2001A/4
- Fitzsimmons (QUB), The size and composition of Near-Earth Asteroids. J/2000B/11. Long-term.
- Green (OU), Physical properties of MUSES-C target asteroid, 1998 SF36. J/2001A/10
- Hambly (Edinburgh), Photometric Calibrators for the Palomar Sky Survey. J/2001A/6
- Hynes (Southampton), Weighing the Black Hole in XTE J1118+480. J/2001A/8
- James (LJMU), A survey of star formation in the local universe. J/2000A/11. Long-term.
- Knapen (Herts), Star formation in arm and interarm environments in spiral galaxies. J/2001A/3
- Marsh (Southampton), Starspots on magnetic white dwarfs. J/2001A/11
- Norton (OU), Optical identification and outburst monitoring of transient X-ray binaries. J/2000B/8. Long-term and Override.
- Tanvir (Herts), Rapid imaging of GRB error boxes and spectroscopy of GRB-related optical/IR transients. J/2001A/18. Override.
NL NFRA PC
- Orosz (Utrecht), The mass of the black hole in the X-ray nova XTE J1118+480. j01an002
- Schoenmakers (Dwingeloo), R-band imaging of a sample of high-z giant radio galaxy candidates. j01an001
- Vreeswijk (Amsterdam), Rapid imaging of GRB error boxes and spectroscopy of GRB-related optical/IR transients. w01an008
- Castro-Tirado (IAA/LAEFF), Rapid detection of the optical counterparts of GRBs. J5/2001A. Override.
- Carraro (Padova), Formation and evolution of the Milky Way. JI14/2001A
- Díaz (UAM), Determination of the fundamental morphological parameters of the nearby active and normal galaxies. J4/2001A
- Oscoz (IAC), Detection of the fast fluctuations in the gravitational lens Q0957+561. J2/2001A
- Pérez (IAC), Atlas of starburst galaxies through H recombination lines imaging. J3/2001A
- Sánchez (ING), NIR photometry of the B3-VLA quasar sample. J1/2001A
CAT Comité para la Asignación de Tiempo
ITP International Time Programme
NFRA Netherlands Foundation for Research in Astronomy
NL The Netherlands
PATT Panel for the Allocation of Telescope Time
PC Programme Committee
UK The United Kingdom
WFS Wide Field Survey
Previous: Important Dates Up: Table of Contents
GENERAL THE ING WIDE FIELD IMAGING SURVEY SCIENCE TELESCOPES AND INSTRUMENTATION OTHER NEWS FROM ING TELESCOPE TIME © Isaac Newton Group of Telescopes