|Home > Public Information > ING Annual Reports > 1997 > Appendix E|
ING Annual Report 1997
Previous: Appendix D - Telescope Time Awards | Up: Table of Contents | Next: Appendix F - ING Staff Research Publications
Appendix EING Bibliography and Analysis
Below is the list of research papers published in 1997 that resulted from observations made at the telescopes of the Isaac Newton Group. Only papers appearing in refereed journals have been included, although many useful data have also appeared elsewhere, notably in workshop and conference proceedings. Papers marked (INT) or (JKT) at the end of the reference indicate those papers also include results from the INT or JKT.
WILLIAM HERSCHEL TELESCOPE
1. S Arribas, E Mediavilla, B García-Lorenzo & C del Burgo, "Stellar and ionised-gas kinematics of the Seyfert 1 galaxy NGC 3516", Astrophys J, 490, 227.
2. M W Asif, S W Unger, A Pedlar, C G Mundell, A Robinson & N A Walton, "Observations at high velocity resolution of the ionised interstellar medium in NGC 4151", MNRAS, 284, L15.
3. E J Bakker, E F van Dishoek, L B F M Waters & T Schoenmaker, "Circumstellar C2, CN and CH+ in the optical spectra of post-AGB stars", Astron Astrophys, 323, 469.
4. P N Best, M S Longair & H J A Röttgering, "A jet-cloud interaction in 3C 34 at redshift z = 0.69", MNRAS, 286, 785.
5. E J C Bowers, W P S Meikle, T R Geballe, N A Walton, P A Pinto, V S Dhillon, S B Howell & M K Harrop-Allin, "Infrared and optical spectroscopy of Type Ia supernovae in the nebular phase", MNRAS, 290, 663. (INT)
6. B J Boyle, B J Wilkes & M Elvis, "The Cambridge-Cambridge ROSAT Serendipity Survey - V. Catalogue and optical identifications", MNRAS, 285, 511. (INT)
7. M T Bridgeland and C R Jenkins, "Measurement of mirror seeing in the laboratory and at the telescope", MNRAS, 287, 87.
8. T J Bridges, K M Ashman, S E Zepf, D Carter, D A Hanes, R M Sharples & J J Kavelaars, "Kinematics and metallicities of globular clusters in M104", MNRAS, 284, 376.
9. M N Bremer, "3C 254: the alignment effect and unification schemes", MNRAS, 284, 126.
10. B Canzian & R J Allen, "Spiral density wave theory, corotation resonance, and the velocity field of NGC 4321", Astrophys J, 479, 723.
11. A Capetti, D J Axon & F D Macchetto, "The ionisation structure of the narrow-line region of NGC 1068 and its relationship to the extended radio emission", Astrophys J, 487, 560.
12. D Carter, R M Johnstone & A C Fabian, "Interstellar matter in the core of M87", MNRAS, 285, L20.
13. C Catala, T Böhm, J-F Donati, T Simon, S Jiang & F Zhao, "Short-term variability of photospheric lines in the pre-main sequence Herbig Ae star AB Aurigae", Astron Astrophys, 319, 176.
14. D Chakrabarty & P Roche, "The symbiotic neutron star binary GX l+4/V2116 Ophiuchi", Astrophys J, 489, 254.
15. P Ciliegi, M Elvis, B J Wilkes, B J Boyle & R G McMahon, "The Cambridge-Cambridge ROSAT Serendipity Survey - IV. The X-ray properties", MNRAS, 284, 401.
16. R L M Corradi, M Guerrero, A Manchado & A Mampaso, "Multiple collimated outflows in a planetary nebula", New Astronomy, 2, 461.
17. M R Cossburn, S T Hodgkin, R F Jameson & D J Pinfield, "Discovery of the lowest mass brown dwarf in the Pleiades", MNRAS, 288, L23. (INT)
18. G Cremonese, H Boehnhardt, J Crovisier, H Rauer, A Fitzsimmons, M Fufie, J Licandro, D Pollacco, G P Tozzi & R M West, "Neutral sodium from comet Hale-Bopp: a third type of tail", Astrophys J, 490, L199.
19. P A Crowther & B Bohannan, "The distinction between O Iafpe and WNLha stars: A spectral analysis of HD 152408 and HDE 313846", Astron Astrophys, 317, 532.
20. P A Crowther, T Szeifert, O Stahl & F-J Zickgraf, "B517 - Another very late WNL star in M33", Astron Astrophys, 318, 543.
21. M Dahlgren, C-I Lagerkvist, A Fitzsimmons, I P Williams & M Gordon, "A study of Hilda asteroids: II. Compositional implications from optical spectroscopy", Astron Astrophys, 323, 606.
22. N G Douglas, "Heterodyned Holographic Spectroscopy", PASP, 109, 151.
23. J E Drew, G Busfield, M G Hoare, K A Murdoch, C A Nixon & R D Oudmaijer, "MWC 297, Bl.5Ve: a zero-age main-sequence star in the Aquila Rift", MNRAS, 286, 538.
24. J D Dull et al, "The Dynamics of M15: Observations of the velocity dispersion profile and Fokker-Planck models", Astrophys J, 481, 267.
25. R S Ellis, I Smail, A Dressler, W J Couch, A Oemler Jr, H Butcher, and Ray M Sharples, "The homogeneity of spheroidal populations in distant clusters", Astrophys J, 483, 582.
26. M Franx, G D I Illingworth, D D Kelson, P G van Dokkum & K-V Tran, "A pair of lensed galaxies at z = 4.92 in the field of CL 1358+62", Astrophys J, 486, L75.
27. T Galama et al, "The decay of optical emission from the g-ray burst GRB970228", Nature, 387, 479. (INT)
28. T Galama et al, "Radio and optical follow-up observations and improved interplanetary network position of GRB 970111", Astrophys J, 486, L5.
29. B García-Lorenzo, E Mediavilla, S Arribas & C del Burgo, "Evidence of two kinematically different stellar systems in NGC 1068", Astrophys J, 483, L99.
30. M L García-Vargas, R M González-Delgado, E Pérez, D Alloin, A Díaz & E Terlevich, "The Stellar content of giant HII regions in NGC 7714", Astrophys J, 478, 112. (JKT)
31. J P Gardner, R M Sharples & C S Frenk, "A Wide-field K-band survey: The luminosity function of galaxies", Astrophys J, 480, L99.
32. R Génova, J E Beckman, S Bowyer & T Spicer, "Kinematical structure of the local interstellar medium: the galactic center hemisphere", Astrophys J, 484, 761.
33. M D Gladders, R G Abraham, Ian M McHardy, C S Crawford, M R Merrifield & L R Jones, "The optical structure and local environment of the BL Lac object 1E 1415.6+2557", MNRAS, 284, 27. (INT)
34. R M González Delgado & E Pérez, "The circumstellar region in the Seyfert 1 galaxy NGC 3227", MNRAS, 284, 931. (INT)
35. R M González Delgado & E Pérez, "HII region population in a sample of nearby galaxies with nuclear activity. II. luminosity functions, size and radial distributions", ApJ Suppl, 108, 199. (JKT)
36. R M González Delgado, E Pérez, C Tadhunter, J M Vílchez & J M Rodríguez-Espinosa, "HlI population in a sample of nearby galaxies with nuclear activity. I. data and general results", ApJ Suppl, 108, 155. (JKT)
37. M A T Groenewegen, R D Oudmaijer & H-G Ludwig, "Two mass-losing carbon stars in the Galactic halo", MNRAS, 292, 686.
38. A Guarnieri et al, "Early detection of the Optical Transient following the Gamma-Ray Burst GRB 970228", Astron Astrophys, 328, L13. (INT)
39. M A Guerrero, A Manchado & Y-H Chu, "Chemical abundances and kinematics of the ring nebula and its halos", Astrophys J, 487, 328.
40. A G Gunn & J G Doyle, "Environments of active close binaries", Astron Astrophys, 318, 60.
41. M M Hanson, I D Howarth & P S Conti, "The young massive stellar objects of M17", Astrophys J, 489, 698.
42. N C Hambly, W R J Rolleston, F P Keenan, P L Dufton & R A Saffer, "Early-type stars in the galactic halo from the Palomar-Green survey. I. A sample of evolved, low-mass stars", ApJ Suppl, 111, 419.
43. N C Hambly, S J Smartt & S T Hodgkin, "WD 0346+246: a very low luminosity, cool degenerate in Taurus", Astrophys J, 489, L157. (JKT)
44. T J Harries & R W Hilditch, "Time-series spectropolarimetry of the short-period Wolf-Rayet+O star binary CQ Cephei", MNRAS, 291, 544.
45. R W Hilditch, A Collier Cameron, G Hill, S A Bell & T J Harries, "Spectroscopy and eclipse-mapping of the mass-exchanging binary star V361 Lyr", MNRAS, 291, 749. (JKT)
46. G A Hirth, R Mundt & J Solf, "Spatial and kinematic properties of the forbidden emission line region of T Tauri stars", Astron Astrophys Suppl, 126, 437.
47. Y I Izotov, T X Thuan & V A Lipovetsky, "The primordial helium abundance: systematic effects and a new determination", ApJ Suppl, 108, 1. (JKT)
48. C S Jeffery, J S Drilling, P M Harrison, U Heber & S Moehler, "The classification of helium-rich hot sub-dwarfs", Astron Astrophys Suppl, 125, 501.
49. J B Jones, S P Driver, S Phillipps, J I Davies, I Morgan & M J Disney, "Studies of the association of faint blue and luminous galaxies using the Hitchhiker parallel camera", Astron Astrophys, 318, 729.
50. L R Jones et al, "X-ray QSO evolution from a very deep ROSAT survey", MNRAS, 285, 547.
51. D C Kennedy, "Radio and optical observations of intermediate velocity gas towards the M15 region", Irish Astron J, 24, 39.
52. A Kim et al, "Implications for the Hubble constant from the first seven supernovae at z >= 0.35", Astrophys J, 476, L63. (INT)
53. V A Klückers, M G Edmunds, R H Morris & N Wooder, "Reality and the speckle imaging of stellar surfaces - II. The asymmetry of Alpha Orionis", MNRAS, 284, 711.
54. W Kollatschny & M Dietrich, "Balmer emission-line profile variations in NGC 4593", Astron Astrophys, 323, 5. (INT)
55. A Krabbe, L Colina, N Thatte & H Kroker, "Near-infrared integral field spectroscopy of Markarian 231", Astrophys J, 476, 98.
56. K M Lanzetta et al, "Damped Ly-alpha, absorption associated with an early-type galaxy at redshift z = 0.16377", Astrophys J, 114, 1337.
57. J Lehár, B F Burke, R Conner, E E Falco, A B Fletcher, M Irwin, R G McMahon, T W B Muxlow P L Schechter, "The gravitationally lensed source MG 0751+2716", Astrophys J, 114, 48.
58. F Legrand, D Kunth, J M Mas-Hesse & J Lequeux, "Evidences for an expanding shell in the blue compact dwarf galaxy Haro 2", Astron Astrophys, 326, 929.
59. W Liu, D J Jeffery & D R Schultz, "Nebular spectra of type Ia supernovae", Astrophys J, 483, L107.
60. J R Lucey, R Guzmán, J Steel & D Carter, "Abell 2199 and Abell 2634 revisited", MNRAS, 287, 899. (INT, JKT)
61. T R Marsh & V S Dhillon, "Supersonic line broadening in accretion discs", MNRAS, 292, 385.
62. D Martínez-Delgado & A Aparicio, "Luminous red stars in local group dwarf elliptical galaxies: an intermediate-age population", Astrophys J, 480, L107.
63. T Mazeh, E L Martín, D Goldberg & H A Smith, "Detecting faint secondaries of spectroscopic binaries: HD 101177B and 149414A", MNRAS, 284, 341. (INT)
64. P A Mazzali, N Chugai, M Turatto, L B Lucey, I J Danziger, E Cappellaro, M Della Valle & S Benetti, "The properties of the peculiar type Ia supernova 1991bg - II. The amount of 56Ni and the total ejecta mass determined from spectrum synthesis and energetics considerations", MNRAS, 284, 151.
65. E Mediavilla, S Arribas, B García-Lorenzo & C del Burgo, "Stellar and ionised gas kinematics in the circumnuclear region of the galaxy NGC 7331", Astrophys J, 488, 682.
66. R H Méndez, M A Guerrero, K C Freeman, M Arnaboldi, R P Kudritzki, U Hopp, M Capaccioli & H Ford, "More evidence for a population of intracluster planetary nebulae in the Virgo cluster", Astrophys J, 491, L23.
67. A Molina, F Moreno & O Muñoz, "Aerosol Debris in the Core and Crescent-Shaped Regions of Comet P/Shoemaker-Levy 9 H and G Fragment Impact Sites on Jupiter", Icarus, 127, 213.
68. D Montes, E L Martín, M J Fernández-Figueroa, M Cornide & E De Castro, "Library of high and mid-resolution spectra in the Ca II H & K, H-alpha, H-beta, NaI D1, D2, and HeI D3 line regions of F,G,K and M field stars", Astron Astrophys Suppl, 123, 473. (INT)
69. M I Monteverde, A Herrero, D J Lennon & R-P Kudritzki, "The stellar oxygen abundance gradient in M33", Astrophys J, 474, L107.
70. R Morgan, C N Tadhunter, R Dickson & M Shaw, "Clues on the nature of Compact Steep Spectrum radio sources from optical spectroscopy", Astron Astrophys, 326, 130.
71. F Najarro, A Krabbe, R Genzel, D Lutz, R P Krudritzki & D J Hillier, "Quantitative spectroscopy of the HeI cluster in the Galactic center", Astron Astrophys, 325, 700.
72. P Natarajan, J S Bloom, S Sigurdsson, R A Johnson, N R Tanvir, P J Groot, T J Galama, J van Paradijs & C Kouveliotou, "The host to gamma-ray burst 970508: a distant dwarf galaxy", New Astronomy, 2, 471.
73. I Negueruela et al, "Multiwavelength observations of an outburst from the Be/X-ray transient 4UO115+63 in 1994", MNRAS, 284, 859. (INT, JKT)
74. A Oemler Jr, A Dressler & H R Butcher, "The morphology of distant cluster galaxies. II. HST observations of four rich clusters at z =~ 0.4", Astrophys J, 474, 561.
75. J L Ortiz, G Orton, F Moreno, A Molina, S Larson & P Yanamandra-Fisher, "The Shoemaker-Levy 9 H impact: some results from the William Herschel Telescope", Astron Astrophys, 324, 357.
76. A Oscoz, M Serra-Ricart, E Mediavilla & J Buitrago, "Support for the gravitational lens interpretations of SBS 0909+532", Astrophys J, 491, L7.
77. R D Oudmaijer, G Busfield & J E Drew, "Diffuse interstellar bands in the spectra of massive young stellar objects", MNRAS, 291, 797.
78. S Perlmutter et al, "Measurements of the cosmological parameters Omega and Lambda from the first seven supernovae at z > 0.35.", Astrophys J, 483, 565. (INT)
79. M Pettini & D V Bowen, "Zinc and chromium abundances in a third damped Lyman a system at intermediate redshift", Astron Astrophys, 327, 22.
80. M Pettini, D L King, L J Smith & R W Hunstead, "Dust in high-redshift galaxies", Astrophys J, 478, 536.
81. M Pettini, L J Smith, D L King, & R W Hunstead, "The metallicity of high-redshift galaxies; the abundance of zinc in 34 damped Ly-alpha systems from z = 0.7 to 3.4", Astrophys J, 486, 665.
82. D L Pollacco & S A Bell, "Imaging and spectroscopy of ejected common envelopes - I", MNRAS, 284, 32.
83. E M Puchnarewicz et al, "Optical and X-ray properties of the RIXOS AGN - II. Emission lines", MNRAS, 291, 177. (INT, JKT)
84. B E Reddy, M Parthasarathy, G González & E J Bakker, "The chemical composition of IRAS 05341+0852: a post-AGB F supergiant with 21m emission", Astron Astrophys, 328, 331.
85. F A Ringwald & T Naylor, "The Status of Nova Orionis 1667", Astron Astrophys, 326, 629. (JKT)
86. H J A Röttgering, R van Ojik, G K Miley, K C Chambers, W J M van Breugel & S de Koff, "Spectroscopy of ultra-steep spectrum radio sources: a sample of z > 2 radio galaxies", Astron Astrophys, 326, 505.
87. S C Russell, "More light on RV Tauri variables", Astron Astrophys, 326, 1069.
88. R S I Ryans, F P Keenan, K R Sembach & R D Davies, "The distance to Complex M and the Intermediate Velocity Arch", MNRAS, 289, 83.
89. R S I Ryans, F P Keenan, K R Sembach & R D Davies, "Optical and HI studies of high- and intermediate velocity gas towards Complex A", MNRAS, 289, 986.
90. R Saunders et al, "Optical and infrared investigation toward the z = 3.8 quasar pair PC 1643+4631A, B", Astrophys J, 479, L5.
91. H M Schmid & H Schild, "Spectropolarimetry of symbiotic stars: AG Draconis", Astron Astrophys, 321, 791.
92. H Schild & H M Schmid, "Spectropolarimetry and nebular geometry of the symbiotic star HBV 475", Astron Astrophys, 324, 606. (INT)
93. H M Schmid & H Schild, "The polarimetric orbit of Z Andromedae", Astron Astrophys, 327, 219.
94. S di Serego Alighieri, A Cimatti, R A E Fosbury & R Hes, "Anisotropic [OIII] emission in radio loud AGN", Astron Astrophys, 328, 510.
95. M J Sempere & M Rozas, "Dynamical model of the grand-design spiral galaxy NGC 157", Astron Astrophys, 317, 405.
96. C R Shrader, R M Wagner, P A Charles, E T Harlaftis & T Naylor, "The 1993 August minioutburst of GRO J0422-32", Astrophys J, 487, 858. (JKT)
97. S J Smartt & W R J Rolleston, "The Galactic oxygen abundance gradient", Astrophys J, 481, L47. (JKT)
98. R C Smith, M J Sarna, M S Catalán & D H P Jones, "The 8190-Å sodium doublet in cataclysmic variables - IV. A survey of 22 objects", MNRAS, 287, 271.
99. M W Somers, F A Rimgwald & T Naylor, "Spectroscopy of WY Sagittae (Nova 1783): detection of the irradiated secondary star", MNRAS, 284, 359.
100. D St-Jacques, G C Cox, J E Baldwin, C D Mackay, E M Waldram & R W Wilson, "The JOSE atmospheric seeing monitor at the William Herschel Telescope", MNRAS, 290, 66.
101. R Supper, G Hasinger, W Pietsch, J I Hper, A Jain, E A Magnier, W H G Lewin & J van Paradijs, "ROSAT PSPC survey of M31", Astro Astrophys, 317, 328.
102. N Thatte, A Quirrenbach, R Genzel, R Maiolino & M Tecza, "The nuclear stellar core, the hot dust source, and the location of the nucleus of NGC 1068", Astrophys J, 490, 238.
103. P G Tuthill, C A Haniff & J E Baldwin, "Hot spots on late-type supergiants", MNRAS, 285, 529.
104. R van Ojik, H J A Röttgering, G K Miley & R W Hunstead, "The gaseous environments of radio galaxies in the early Universe: kinematics of the Lyman a, emission and spatially resolved HI absorption", Astron Astrophys, 317, 358.
105. J van Paradijs et al, "Transient optical emission from the error box of the gamma-ray burst of 28 February 1997", Nature, 386, 686. (INT)
106. A Vazdekis, R F Peletier, J E Beckman & E Caruso, "A new chemo-evolutionary population synthesis model for early-type galaxies. II. Observations and results", ApJ Suppl, 111, 203.
107. T Wada & M Ueno, "Infrared photometry of Supernova 1993J in M81", Astrophys J, 113, 231.
108. J V Wall, "Minimum-component baselines: Fourier analysis for continuum assessment", Astron Astrophys Suppl, 122, 371.
109. G Wilson, I Smail, R Ellis & W J Crouch, "The faint end of the galaxy luminosity function in moderate-redshift", MNRAS, 284, 915. (INT)
110. R W Wilson, V S Dhillon & C A Haniff, "The changing face of Betelgeuse", MNRAS, 291, 819.
111. M R Zapatero Osorio, E L Martín & R Rebolo, "Brown Dwarfs in the Pleiades cluster", Astron Astrophys, 323, 605.
112. M R Zapatero Osorio, R Rebolo, E L Martín, G Basri, A Magazzu, S T Hodgkin, R F Jameson M R Cossburn, "New brown dwarfs in the Pleiades cluster", Astrophys J, 491, L81.
113. M Zboril, P B Byrne & W R J Rolleston, "Lithium abundance in field K and M dwarfs", MNRAS, 284, 685.
ISAAC NEWTON TELESCOPE
1. C Abia & J Isern, "12C/13C ratios and Li abundances in C stars: evidence for deep mixing?", MNRAS, 289, L11.
2. A Alonso, M Salaris, C Martínez-Roger, O Straniero & S Arribas, "CCD photometry of the metal-rich halo cluster NGC 6366", Astron Astrophys, 323, 374.
3. R H Becker, M D Gregg, I M Hook, R G McMahon, R L White & D J Helfand, "The first radio-loud broad absorption line QSO and evidence for a hidden population of quasars", Astrophys J, 479, L93.
4. J Casares, E L Martín, P A Charles, P Molaro, & R Rebolo, "The mass ratio of Nova Muscae 1991", New Astronomy, 1, 299.
5. P E Christopoulou, A J Hofioway, W Steffen, C G Mundell, A H C Thean, C D Goudis, J Meaburn & A Pedlar, "Evidence for an outflow from the Seyfert galaxy NGC 4051", MNRAS, 284, 385.
6. M Corcoran & T P Ray, "Forbidden emission lines in Herbig Ae/Be stars", Astron Astrophys, 321, 189.
7. P A Crowther, "Remarkable spectral variability in WR 104 (WC9): dust condensation in a hostile environment?", MNRAS, 290, L59.
8. J K Davies, "Optical and Infrared Photometry of Kuiper Belt Object 1993SC", Icarus, 125, 61.
9. R I Davies, A Alonso-Herrero & M J Ward, "A multiwavelength study of the starburst galaxy NGC 7771", MNRAS, 291, 557.
10. V S Dhillon, T R Marsh & D H P Jones, "On the nature of SW Sex", MNRAS, 291, 694.
11. R J Dickinson, R K Prinja, S R Rosen, A R King, C Heffier & K Horne, "The intricate optical line behaviour of the nova-like system V795 Herculis", MNRAS, 286, 447.
12. R A Fesen, J Michael Shull & A P Hurford, "An optical study of the circumstellar environment around the Crab Nebula", Astrophys J, 113, 354.
13. J Gallego, J Zamorano, M Rego & A G Vitores, "Spectroscopic properties and luminosity distribution of the Universidad Complutense de Madrid survey galaxies", Astrophys J, 475, 502.
14. P García-Lario, M Parthasarathy, D de Martino, L Sanz Fernández de Córdoba, R Monier, A Manchado & S R Pottasch, "A multiwavelength study of LSII+34°26: a hot post-AGB star in the process of becoming a planetary nebula", Astron Astrophys, 326, 1103.
15. D R Garnett, G A Shields, E D Skillman, S P Sagan & R J Dufour, "Interstellar abundance gradients in NGC 2403: Comparison to M33", Astrophys J, 489, 63.
16. F Garzón, M López-Corredoira, P Hammersley, T J Mahoney, X Calbet & J E Beckman, "A major star formation region in the receding tip of the stellar galactic bar", Astrophys J, 491, L31.
17. R M González Delgado & C Leitherer, "Are the super-star clusters of NGC 1569 in a post-starburst phase?", Astrophys J, 483, 705.
18. J Gorgas, S Pedraz, R Guzmán, N Cardiel & J J González, "Line-strength indices in bright spheroidal galaxies: evidence for a stellar population dichotomy between spheroidal and elliptical galaxies", Astrophys J, 481, L19.
19. S F Green, N McBride, D P O Ceallaigh, A Fitzsimmons, I P Williams & M J Irwin, "Surface reflectance properties of distant Solar system bodies", MNRAS, 290, 186.
20. W J Henney, J Meaburn, A C Raga & R Massey, "Optical emission line profiles of the LV knots (proplyds) in Orion", Astron Astrophys, 324, 656.
21. D R Henstock, I W A Browne, P N Wilkinson & R G McMahon, "Redshifts for flat-spectrum radio sources in the second Caltech-Jodrell Bank VLBI sample", MNRAS, 290, 380.
22. J Hjorth & N R Tanvir, "Calibration of the fundamental plane zero point in the Leo I group and an estimate of the Hubble constant", Astrophys J, 482, 68.
23. S B Howell, J E Pesce, J J Condon, R Ciardullo & P D Usher, "US 3215: An Active gE2 Galaxy", PASP, 109, 1149.
24. K Iwasawa, A C Fabian, W N Brandt, C S Crawford & O Almaini, "AXJ1749+684: a narrow-emission-line galaxy with a flat X-ray spectrum", MNRAS, 291, L17.
25. R D Jeffries, "Membership and lithium abundances of late-type stars in NGC 6633", MNRAS, 292, 177. (JKT)
26. R A Johnson, A Lawrence, R Terlevich & D Carter, "A high-excitation HII region in the faint dwarf elliptical galaxy A 0951+68", MNRAS, 287, 333. (JKT)
27. D C Koo, R Guzmán & J Gallego, "On the nature of the strong emission-line galaxies in duster C1 0024+1654: are some the progenitors of low-mass spheroidals?", Astrophys J, 478, L49.
28. C Lázaro, M J Arévalo, "Time resolved spectroscopy of RS CVn short-period systems: 1. GG Cyg, BH Vir and ER Vul", Astron J, 113, 2283.
29. L S Lyubimkov, S I Rostopchin, P Roche & A E Tarasov, "Fundamental parameters, helium abundance and distance of X Persei", MNRAS, 286, 549.
30. A Magazzù, E L Martín, M F Sterzik, R Neuhäuser, E Covino & J M Alcalá, "Search for young low-mass stars in a ROSAT selected sample south of the Taurus-Auriga molecular clouds", Astron Astrophys Suppl, 124, 449.
31. E A Magnier, S Prins, T Augusteijn, J van Paradijs & W H G Lewin, "Cepheids as tracers of star formation in M31", Astron Astrophys, 326, 442.
32. E A Magnier, T Augusteijn, S Prins, & W H G Lewin, "Cepheids as tracers of star formation in M31: I. Observations and identifications", Astron Astrophys Suppl, 126, 401.
33. E L Martín & D Montes, "H-alpha emission fluxes and lithium abundances of low-mass stars in the young open cluster IC 4665", Astron Astrophys, 318, 805.
34. E Martín, Y Pavlenko & R Rebolo, "Common envelope evolution and Li in V471 Tauri", Astron Astrophys, 326, 731.
35. D Montes, M J Fernández-Figueroa, E De Castro & J Sanz-Forcada, "Multiwavelength optical observations of chromospherically active binary systems: 1. Simultaneous Ha, NaI D1, D2, and HeI D3 observations", Astron Astrophys Suppl, 125, 263.
36. J Iglesias-Páramo & J M Vílchez, "Recent star formation in groups of galaxies: HCG 31", Astrophys J, 479, 190. (JKT)
37. J Iglesias-Páramo & J M Vílchez, "The onset of a three-galaxy merger in the compact group of galaxies HCG 95?", Astrophys J, 489, L13. (JKT)
38. J Palacios, M L García-Vargas, A Díaz, R Terlevich & E Terlevich, "Kinematics and stellar populations in active galaxies: the LINER NGC 4579 (M58)", Astron Astrophys, 323, 749.
39. J P Phillips & L Cuesta, "Dust scattering and kinematics within the envelope of IRAS 09371+1212", Astron Astrophys, 326, 831.
40. D J Pinfield, S T Hodgkin, R F Jameson, M R Cossburn & T von Hippel, "Brown dwarf candidates in Praesepe", MNRAS, 287, 180. (JKT)
41. R F Peletier & M Balcells, "Near-Infrared surface photometry of bulges and disks of spiral galaxies. The data", New Astronomy, 1, 349.
42. M Almudena Prieto & H-S Zhao, "The giant nebulae associated with 3C 227: emission-line profiles and kinematic modelling", MNRAS, 290, 34.
43. M Prieto, S T Gottesman, J-A L Aguerri & A-M Varela, "Structural components of NGC 5850", Astrophys J, 114, 1413.
44. P Reig, J Fabregat, M J Coe, P Roche, D Chakrabarty, I Negueruela & I Steele, "The Be/X-ray binary LS I+61º 235/RX J0146.9+6121: physical parameters and V/R variability", Astron Astrophys, 322, 183. (JKT)
45. C S Reynolds, A J Loan, A C Fabian, K Makishima, W N Brant & T Mizuno, "ASCA observations of the nearby galaxies Dwingeloo 1 and Maffei 1", MNRAS, 286, 349.
46. C S Reynolds, H Quaintrell, M D Still, P Roche, D Chakrabarty & S E Levine, "A new mass estimate for Hercules X-1", MNRAS, 288, 43.
47. R de La Reza, N A Drake, L Da Silva, C A O Torres & E L Martín, "On a rapid lithium enrichment and depletion of K giant stars", Astrophys J, 482, L77.
48. B Smalley, "The central star of the bipolar planetary nebula NGC 2346", The Observatory, 117, 338.
49. K W Smith, I A Bonnell, G F Lewis & P S Bunclark, "Inverse P Cygni variability in the classical T Tauri star DR Tauri", MNRAS, 289, 151.
50. R J Smith, J R Lucey, M J Hudson & J Steel, "Galaxy clusters in the Perseus-Pisces region - I. Spectroscopic and photometric data for early-type galaxies", MNRAS, 291, 461. (JKT)
51. E Solano & J Frenley, "Spectroscopic survey of delta Scuti stars: I. Rotation velocities and effective temperatures", Astron Astrophys Suppl, 122, 131. (JKT)
52. D Steeghs, E T Harlaftis & K Horne, "Spiral structure in the accretion disc of the binary IP Pegasi", MNRAS, 290, L28.
53. M Stiavelli, R F Peletier & C M Carollo, "M87 in the near-infrared: the jet and the counterjet regions", MNRAS, 285, 181.
54. M D Still, H Quaintrell, P D Roche & A P Reynolds, "Spectral signatures of reprocessing on the companion and accretion disc of Hercules X-1", MNRAS, 292, 52.
55. K P Tritton, "Astronomical requirements for limiting lighting pollution", The Observatory, 117, 10.
56. J C Vega, E M Corsini, A Pizzella & F Bertola, "Figure-of-eight velocity curves: UGC 10205", Astron Astrophys, 324, 485.
57. A J Willis, L Dessart, P A Crowther, P W Morris, A Maeder, P S Conti & K A van der Hucht, "The neon abundance in WC stars - I. ISO SWS spectroscopy of WR146 (WC6+O)", MNRAS, 290, 371.
58. T Yamada & I Tanaka, "Clustering of red galaxies near the radio-loud quasar 1335.8+2834 at z = 1.1", Astrophys J, 487, L125.
59. M A Zwaan, F H Briggs, D Sprayberry & E Sorar, "The HI mass function of galaxies from a deep survey in the 21 centimeter line", Astrophys J, 490, 173.
JACOBUS KAPTEYN TELESCOPE
1. A P Beardmore & J P Osborne, "Simultaneous rapid hard X-ray and optical variability in AM Herculis: measurement of blob parameters", MNRAS, 290, 145.
2. C M Clement, R W Hilditch, J Kaluzny & S M Rucinski, "Evolution of horizontal-branch stars in globular clusters: the interesting case of V79 in M3", Astrophys J, 489, L55.
3. M E Contreras, L F Rodríguez, M Tapia, D Cardini, A Emanuelle, M Badiali & P Persi, "Hipparcos VLA and CCD observations of Cygnus OB2 no. 5: solving the mystery of the radio companion", Astrophys J, 488, L153.
4. D Harper, C D Murray, K Beurle, I P Williams, D H P Jones, D B Taylor & S C Greaves, "CCD astrometry of Saturn's satellites 1990-1994", Astron Astrophys Suppl, 121, 65.
5. J H Knapen, "Atomic hydrogen in the spiral galaxy NGC 3631", MNRAS, 286, 403.
6. M C Marsh et al, "An EUV-selected sample of DA white dwarfs from the ROSAT All-Sky Survey - I. Optically derived stellar parameters", MNRAS, 286, 369.
7. E L Martín & M R Zapatero-Osorio, "The rotation period of a very low-mass star in a Persei", MNRAS, 286, L17.
8. J E Pesce et al, "Multiwavelength monitoring of the BL Lacertae object PKS 2155-304 in 1994 May. I. The ground-based campaign", Astrophys J, 486, 770.
9. I Puerari & H Dottori, "A morphological method to determine corotation radii in spiral galaxies", Astrophys J, 476, L73.
10. P Roche et al, "Observations of the recent disc loss in X Perseii: photometry and polarimetry", Astron Astrophys, 322, 139.
11. R P Saglia, D Burstein, G Baggley, E Bertshinger, M M Colless, R L Davies, R K McMahan & G Wegner, "The peculiar motions of early-type galaxies in two distant regions - III. The photometric data", MNRAS, 292, 499.
12. N R Tanvir, R C Thomson & E G Tsikarishvili, "Wisp motions in the Crab nebula", New Astronomy, 1, 311.
13. E Telles & R Terlevich, "The VRI colours of HII galaxies", MNRAS, 286, 183.
14. K Young, P Cox, P J Huggins, T Forveille & R Bachiller, "Neutral atomic carbon in the globules of the helix", Astrophys J, 482, L101.
15. M R Zapatero Osorio, R Rebolo & E L Martín, "Brown dwarfs in the Pleiades cluster: a CCD-based R,I survey", Astron Astrophys, 317, 164.
The above list contains 187 publications, some of which include results from more than one telescope. 113 papers contain results from the WHT, 77 contain results from the INT and 35 contain results from the JKT. The corresponding figures for 1996 were 100 from the WHT, 84 from the INT and 52 from the JKT. The combined publication rate is slightly less than in 1996, but by only 11 publications. The number of papers published from the WHT continues to increase and at 113, is the highest number to date. The contribution from the rest of the world authors has increased significantly as compared to the UK (only) contribution, which encourages us to believe that collaborative programmes are on the increase.
Number of publications 1984-1997 WHT INT JKT Total 1984 1 1 1985 10 3 13 1986 24 8 32 1987 36 16 52 1988 5 52 12 69 1989 15 58 15 88 1990 37 54 26 117 1991 39 63 19 121 1992 42 56 25 123 1993 55 70 30 155 1994 78 63 44 185 1995 90 81 29 200 1996 100 84 52 236 1997 113 77 35 225
Previous: Appendix D - Telescope Time Awards | Up: Table of Contents | Next: Appendix F - ING Staff Research Publications
© Isaac Newton Group of Telescopes