Previous: Routine operation
Up: Cryostat description
Next: Further notes
Previous Page: Routine operation
Next Page: Further notes
Visiting observers who have not used this dewar before must obtain instruction
from a member of the Technical group or a Support Astronomer.
- Ensure that all valves apart from No 4 (vent valve) are shut.
- Insert the fill tube into the cryostat
- Close Valve No 4 - this allows the dewar to pressurise.
- Open Valve No 3 (the dispensing valve) and Valve No 1 (the by-pass valve).
Check that the pressure does not rise above 10 psi on the gauge. If it
does, reduce it by opening Valve No 4 a small amount. If it takes a long
time to build up pressure then open Valve No 5 for a short period, again
checking the pressure on the gauge. Close No 5 as soon as pressure has
- When the cryostat is full, close Valve No 1 and 3 and then open No 4. As
the pressure is released there will be a rush of gas out of this valve.
- Check that all valves EXCEPT No 4 are closed.
- Remove the fill tube when it becomes flexible again and place the
dewar away from the telescope.