Starting up the observing system
- Log in to the workstation taurus
An xterm pink window (labeled "WHTICS") and xterm orange DAS (data acquisition system) windows will appear.
- LOGIN: whtobs
PASSWORD: provided by your support astronomer
Locate the corresponding DAS windows which control
the ISIS detectors (check the white board above the ICS computer).
- Start the data acquisition systems:
- Type obssys in each DAS (orange) window.
Wait until the
prompt DAS> appears.
- Type DAS>startobssys to start the
software. Wait until the prompt is back and minimize this window (it is
not needed until you shut down the system).
- Start the instrument control system:
- Type obssys in the pink window and wait to get the
- Type SYS>startobssys
This initializes the telescope control software (TCS) link, the
detector controllers, and brings up several new windows:
- An "identify" window.
Enter your name and proposal identification.
- The observing log.
The log is automatically updated each time a new file is written to
disk. To put comments on a line click once with the mouse on the line
and a box appears where you can type shorts comments.
- Two detector information displays,
one for the blue and other for the red arm of ISIS (if other
cameras are operative, typically the Aux Port, other displays will be
open) and one summary detector information
- The "Instrument control" window
where you can configure ISIS set-up (alternatively to commands from
- The "talker" window. It displays messages
from the observing system to the user.
- The "mimic" display.
- If you want, you can bring up a telescope info
display window. Type:
Shutting down the observing system
- Shut down the instrument control system:
Type SYS>shutdownobssys in the pink window
and wait until the prompt is back. Most of the windows
will disappear (log, detector info window, talker, identify window).
- Shut down the DAS:
on the DAS orange window corresponding to ISIS and wait
until the prompt is back.
- Close the TCS display window manually: from the File
menu, select Exit
- Log out of ISIS's control computer (click System and then Log